Somehow nearly a year has gone by since I took these pictures of Karl and Emma. Emma has since chopped her hair into a short pixie cut. Just last night Karl got his hair buzzed, too. Both of my children were lucky enough to inherit their father's curls and both kids keep chopping them off! Unfair!
I made this Accordion for a display piece. I have lots of pictures of the twins in frames throughout the house but very few of them as teenagers. I made the large silver butterfly when I was filming the Grungy Gears Background video for the Artsy Bathtub card. I didn't end up using the butterfly so it was sitting on the desk and I wanted to do something with it.
The Katie Label Accordion (or either of the other two portrait-style albums - Oval or Rectangle) was the perfect choice for an accordion with photos since there is plenty of real estate for a decent-sized photo plus embellishments.
The background is thin white cardstock with double-sided adhesive on the back. I created the color and pattern using a combination of stain, paint, spray, a leaf stencil and a polka-dot stamp. I started by mixing the paint and stain on a craft mat with a little water and then dredging the cardstock through it. Then I added the leaf mask, sprayed it with white spray and then flipped the stencil and pressed it to the paper as well, creating both positive and negative leaves. I overstamped randomly with the polka-dot stamp in green ink. After the background dried I snipped out the center labels from the outer frames and mixed them up for more variety. The pages for the album were cut from a thick olive cardstock and then the frames and labels stuck to them.
For the front of the album I used the Katie Flourish Frame Edges on my leftover background cardstock, which already had double-sided adhesive on the back. I die cut the Frame Edges and carefully lifted the die off the cardstock so that most of the pieces remained in place. I poked out a few random pieces but left most of the "confetti" in the frame edges for an etched look.
In addition to my leftover butterfly, I also had several modeling paste backgrounds left over from the Modeling Paste Backgrounds video tutorial. I used those backgrounds for the Clock, gears, lace butterfly and hinges. I inked them all with Black Soot Distress ink.