I'm back from CHA and after the requisite day spent on the couch leguming, I spent today in the studio having fun with the new Dress Form Pop 'n Cuts die from Stampin' Up!
Gretchen has a great CHA recap posted on her blog today, btw, if you want to see what my section of the Sizzix booth looked like.
The 2013 Stampin' Up! Spring Catalog features this exclusive A2 Card Base for Pop 'n Cuts. The card base is sold separately for $39.95 (USD), and it will cut an A2 sized card (4.25" x 5.5" when folded) with a decorative edge at the top, rounded corners at the bottom, and slits for the decorative edge to slide through to hold the card closed. This base will accomodate ANY Pop 'n Cuts insert from any collection, but you will only be able to get this particular base from Stampin' Up!
You can use this Base as a plain card, a backing card, a Movers & Shapers card or tray in addition to using it for Pop 'n Cuts, so it is a versatile die. On its own it looks great as either a vertical or horizontal card. This is the only Pop 'n Cuts Base die that features a built-in closure.
Here is the card I made today to send to my future sister-in-law, Iris. My brother popped the question about a month ago and they will be married next fall. We are thrilled for them!
My usual method for making Pop 'n Cuts cards is to start with the inside of the card. This is where the "magic" is, and the card is probably going to be displayed propped open by the recipient. For this reason, I often do a relatively simple card front. Just a lead-in to the magic inside. I'll pull colors and textures from the interior. In this case, I used the white pearl lace and the plain lace inside on the dress, so I used strips of both on the card front.
For the interior of the card, I used the Dress Form Pop 'n Cuts Insert inside the Base and then cut it from white cardstock. I also cut a sleeveless dress using the companion Framelits set and wrapped the dress in lace.
All of the supplies on my card are Stampin' Up! with the exception of the pearl lace and the lace. Those were just stash items.
I know the Designer Series Paper I used for the floor is retired, but you could get a similar look by stamping vines on cardstock with Versamark ink. The wallpaper is stamped using the Solid Stripes stamp. Ink colors are Basic Gray and Sahara Sand.
I cut a piece of Gray cardstock to cover the table top with a slight overhang. I then trimmed away the overhang in the area of the dress so it would operate smoothly. My original plan was to have some dressmaking items on the top of the table - a ruler, needle and thread, etc. But then the dress turned out so nice that I didn't want to draw focus, so I left the table top bare.
Here are links to the three dies I used, all exclusive to Stampin' Up! You'll want to order from your local demonstrator to support him/her.